Learn About DSMES
Many people with type 2 diabetes can manage their blood sugar with the help of a Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support (DSMES) class.
Join a community of friends and neighbors who have diabetes and are learning to manage it.
DSMES focuses on self-care behaviors such as healthy eating, being active and monitoring blood sugar and is a key step in improving health outcomes and quality of life for people with diabetes. Classes are taught in individual and group settings.
DSMES is designed to help you manage your diabetes
Healthier lifestyle behaviors, such as better nutrition and increased physical activity
Fewer or less severe diabetes-related complications
To help you reach your self-management goals, you’ll learn about:
- How to check your blood sugar
- What your blood sugar numbers mean
- What you can do if your blood sugar is too high or too low
- How the foods you eat affect your blood glucose
- How to eat healthy without giving up all the foods you love
- How physical activity will help you manage your diabetes
- How to increase your physical activity and set realistic goals
- How your medicines work
- When to take your medicines
- What the side effects of your medicines are and when to be concerned
- How to balance your physical activity, meals and snacks with your medicines to keep your blood sugar from being too high or too low
- How to plan for possible changes to your health
- How to deal with difficult times
- How to find the specialist you need to prevent further damage of diabetes